Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Kid's Story --The Lonely Princess


Kid's Story --The Lonely Princess
===================================
Ruby was sitting in a chair gazing out at the full moon through her bedchamber window. She sighed heavily, as one tear rolled down her cheek falling silently onto her purple silk nightdress. Again, not for the first time, she wished aloud to have one friend. One person who liked the things she liked. One person to run or play with. Someone with whom to share secrets with, and share all the things friends do.

Now, you may think that Princesses ever get lonely. They must have lots and lots of friends. But that is not necessarily so.
Her parents were not so parental. They always seemed too busy with the affairs of state to have much time for their children. Their governess seemed all business too. Everything with her was "Brush your teeth.",or "Sit up straight."

Her two older sisters were of no help. They were close in age to each other, but several years older than Ruby. And they teased Ruby something dreadful. Because, while they looked like the swarthy dark haired King and Queen. Poor Ruby was fair skinned and named for her lustrous red locks. Which she always had in abundance, even as a babe.They would call her names like "Flame Troll" when angry with her,or "Foundling" when they were not angry. She just felt like she didn't really fit in where she was. Like a puzzle piece placed in the wrong box.

As she sat wishing as hard as she could, she thought she saw one of the stars slightly twinkle more than it had a moment ago. "I must be so tired I am imagining things",thought Ruby. So she went to bed.

=====

In the morning she gave the twinkle no more thought, as she was helped in her morning bathing and dressing.
After breakfast the girls had free time outside before the days lessons.
Her sisters were sitting at a garden table playing checkers, while Ruby played Croquet by herself. After some time she became bored, and approached the table.

"Sisters",said Ruby.

"Yes,what is it Foundling",replied the eldest in an disinterested tone,while not even looking at her.

"It is such a lovely day, would you please walk with me?", asked Ruby.

"Foundling, you must be joking",said the younger of the two in a placating haughty tone."How can we possibly go for a walk,when I haven't won yet?".

"Excuse me!" the elder one blurted,"I am just about to win,and you know it!"

"It is not my fault you are such a sore loser.",taunted the younger sister.

And that was all it took. They were in a quarrel again. Ruby knew better than to bother them now. And headed off for that walk on her own.



After a short distance she became disinterested with the usual scenery, and decided to leave the familiar path, to go exploring. She hadn't realized she had gone as far as she had, untill she turned to go back, and discovered she was quite lost!!

"Oh,no!" thought Ruby, "Governess is sure to be displeased, when I miss my lessons."The thought of having to write 'I will not be tardy to my lessons', one hundred times made her groan.

After a while, of trying to find the way back,she saw a path and thought it might lead her home. She followed it, untill up ahead she saw a girl sitting under a tree reading a book. Ruby froze in astonishment. The girl had red hair and fair skin,just like Ruby.She wore a puple dress like Ruby too. The dresses were different in design and shade though. Ruby wore a lot of purple because it was her favorite color.

"Hello",ventured Ruby timidly.

As the girl looked up at her,Ruby gaped in disbelief. The girl was her mirror image,right down to the freckles on her nose!! The girl too, could hardly believe her own eyes. She stood. and the two girls just stared at each other for a minute that seemed more like forever.

"Who are you?",asked Ruby breaking the silence.

"My name is Rose.",answered the girl.
"Who are you, and how came you to my fathers estate? Are you aware that impersonating a princess is a crime?"

"My name is Ruby. I got lost in the woods. And I am not impersonating you. And anyway, I am a princess too."Said Ruby, irritated at the suggestion that she was possibly up to no good.

"Well,it isn't everyday you find someone who looks just like you,you know.",Offered Rose.
"I am sorry for being so rude. Won't you please stay for tea? And afterwards, I'll help you find your way home."

Ruby couldn't refuse, she wanted to know more about Rose. Perhaps Rose would be that friend that Ruby was looking for. Rose surprised Ruby by linking elbows with her, and steering her around the tree in the path that she had been leaning against.

"So,tell me all about yourself.",said Rose,as they walked out of the wood, and toward a hedge maze. They entered the 'Exit'. By the time they had reached the entrance to the maze, they were chatting as if they had known each other forever. The entrance of the maze opened up to an imense lush garden,in the distance stood a magnificent castle.

The two girls couldn't believe how much they had in common, likes,dislikes,even their favorite color. It was absolutely amazing.
But where-as Ruby's family was cold and distant, Rose's family was just the opposite. Ruby couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness at the aloofness of her own family,as the ramblings of Rose only served to show Ruby what she was missing.

They chatted and played board games,at a table in a garden gazebo all afternoon.
A few hours later, Ruby noticed how late it was getting.
"How am I going to get home?",asked Ruby. "I have never left the grounds before. I don't know which way to go to get back."

"I think I may know" said Rose.She sent the girl who had been bringing them refreshments all afternoon to get a lantern.Rose explained to Ruby that the path forks after a couple of miles. Rose only walks on the left path. what if Ruby lives down the right path. Perhaps When Ruby left her familiar path, she had bridged the gap between them,and found Rose. Ruby agreed that Rose's idea could be right. When the girl returned the three of them set out to see if Ruby lives down the right path. The girl,walked ahead of them carrying the still unlit lantern.

"Tell me more about your rotten sisters" said Rose.

"Well, one time, I was eating supper,and they had turned my chocolate pudding into mud."

"How could they do that." asked Rose.

"With Magic of course,how else." Replied Ruby

"What do you mean with magic?" asked Rose with a concerned tone.

"You know,magic. That special little talent all faeries have."

"You're a Faery!?"

"Well, not a very good one. I've never been able to do any magic at all.",said Ruby sadly. "Aren't you a faery too?"

"No." Said Rose weakly.

"I'll not go to the Fae realm!!" blurted the girl,her eyes wide,lantern shaking slightly in her hand.

"Nonsense," said Rose firmly. "I promised Ruby I'd help her find her way home. You wouldn't want to make me out to be a liar, would you Louisa??"

"N-no, you're Highness",Louisa said helplessly.as they continued through the woods.

"I don't want to scare anyone.",Ruby assured.

"I am not scared,just surprised,is all."said Rose."You don't look like a faery. I thought Faeries are small with butterfly wings."

"Some are,But others look like humans.And some are Human sized with wings."explained Ruby.

All of a sudden Ruby exclaims,"You were right!",as she ran over to a small boulder off to the right side of the path. The top of the boulder was flat enough to sit upon."This is 'Pic-nic Rock', I sometimes come here for lunch.And to avoid my sisters when they're in a foul mood."

"Ruby,"said Rose."Now that you know your way back,this is far as Louisa and I will go. Louisa is right,humans don't belong in the Fae realm.(Louisa let out a sigh of relief). You might be a Faery,but I'd like to see you again,if you'd like to come and visit me."

"Of course I would Rose.",replied Ruby happily.

They agreed on Saturdays.They also agreed to keep each other a secret from their families. Ruby wouldn't tell her family,because she just wasn't that close to them. And her  sisters would probably do something rotten if they knew she had a Human friend.  And Rose wouldn't want her family to know that she was having a Faery over. Faeries had bad reputations,of doing bad things to Humans.She didn't want to worry them unecessarily.She had a feeling that Ruby was as nice as her sisters were not.

they said their goodbyes,and Ruby continued home,alone. Louisa sat the lantern on Pic-nic Rock to light it for the return trip back to Rose's home,as it was getting rather dark out now.....................
........................
==================================
The following week seemed to fly by.Ruby had no problem leaving unnoticed on Saturday. Sneaking Ruby into the palace wasn't hard either. As Louisa was Rose's personal maid and companion,she accompanied Ruby to Roses Chambers.No one knew Rose was in her chambers already,and assumed Ruby was Rose. Now Ruby knew the layout of the castle and could make her way around by herself.

"Looks like the lemonade pitcher is just about empty."said Ruby.

"And I could go for some scones." Said Rose. "Wait,I just had an idea for some fun.Louisa,would you please get some more refreshments from the kitchen,and have someone from the kitchen help you."

Louisa looked up from the drawing she'd been working on to reply "Yes Ma'am."
as she left for her errand.

While Louisa was gone Rose explained her idea to Ruby.

Shortly,Louisa and a scullery maid returned with a pitcher of tea,and some scones with all the extras.They entered Roses chambers to set them on the table before the fireplace. Only Rose was seated,Ruby was gone.The maid noticed nothing amiss.Louisa gave a look about the chambers wondering where Ruby had gone.The maid left.

Immediately Ruby came out from under the bed, went into the hall just in time to catch the scullery maid before she'd gone too far."Excuse me,I'd like a crock of honey butter also,please."Said Ruby

The scullery maid turned around,and gave Ruby a strange look,but replied "Yes,Ma'am".before leaving to get it.

Ruby returned to Roses chambers.Rose had explained things to Louisa while Ruby was in the hall.

"Did she notice your clothes are different from mine."Asked Rose.

"I think she did,she didn't say anything,but she gave me a very puzzled look.It would be rather hard not to notice your in Rose,and I'm in Jade"

The three girls burst out in laughter. Twenty minutes later there was a knock on the door.Quickly Ruby hid under the bed.Rose seated at the table calls out,
"come in."

the same maid sets the crock of honey butter upon the table, looks at Rose strangely,before leaving.Again the girls break out in laughter,Ruby still under the bed,but she saw it.

-----------------
After several Saturdays of such "fun",news of it had reached the Queen.The Queen,wanting to know the reason for the princesses tomfoolery,told the staff to notify her immediately if it happened again. Sure enough,the following Saturday they were at it, yet again.
   The Queen sitting in a parlor with a friend visiting for tea,was notified of her daughters behavior. After excusing herself,she made her way to the Princesses chambers. She pressed an ear to the door,to listen.


"Did you see the gardener's face when he realized not only had I not enough time to be where I was, let alone change my clothes?! Laughed Rose.

"Too funny." Louisa snickered

"Too bad I had to miss his reaction on that one, but I can just imagine." giggled Ruby.


All three girls suddenly went silent,as the door opened. The three of them were sitting on Roses bed in plain view as the Queen entered. The Queen looked as stunned as the girls were to see her,for a moment before feinting.

"Mother!" exclaimed Rose,as she ran over to her.
"Louisa,fetch the doctor!" Louisa said nothing as she ran out the door for help.

"Is there anything I can do?" asked Ruby,coming to Roses side.

"No,I don't think so". The Queen groaned,and started to awaken."Look, she's coming around". Rose assisted her mother to a sitting position.

The Queens eyes flew open. She grabbed Ruby by the shoulders. She seemed to be studying Ruby,her hair,her face. Suddenly, she hugged Ruby,as if she'd never let her go.

"Your majesty,your squeezing me" protested Ruby.

"Oh,I am sorry!" said the Queen,letting go of Ruby. The girls helped her to her feet and over to a chair to sit. Rose poured some water for her mother.

"Are you alright?" asked Rose.

"Yes,I think so".

In came the Doctor and Louisa. The Doctor just stared at Ruby and Rose for a moment. "Doctor,do you think she could be.....?" asked the Queen.

The Doctor having been the family physician for years,knew exactly what she meant. "Yes,I do think she could be" he said. "Young lady, have you any birthmarks?" he asked Ruby.

"Yes, I have a small crescent moon shaped mole on one foot" replied Ruby.

"May I see it?" he asked. Ruby showed it to him. He looked astonished. "Yes,your majesty,I believe she is!"

"You believe I am what?" asked Ruby.

"My daughter, Roses Twin sister!!" said the Queen excitedly.

"How can that be, I know who my parents are."

"Where do you live?" asked the Queen.

"In the Fae Realm" exclaimed Louisa. Rose shot Louisa a look of annoyance.

"That explains it then! I knew that what we buried was a changeling,and not you. But everyone just said that I was suffering a Mothers grief,and not in my right senses. But I knew that disagreeable creature wasn't you!!!" exclaimed the Queen.

"Don't you see? That's why you can't do magic. Because your not a faery, your Human!" said Rose

"Then, we really are sisters!" Cried Ruby happily,hugging Rose.

"What happens now?" asked Ruby.

"I'm afraid that once a changeling knows what they are, the Fae Realm loses its hold on them.You must make a choice to either stay here, or in the Fae Realm.
If you choose the the Human world,you'll live with us of course. You will no longer be a part of your faery family. They cannot stop you from leaving." explained the Queen.

"Well, I haven't exactly been happy with my Faery family. And I would like to know my real parents, and live with my sister" Said Ruby.

"You do realize, you're giving up all ties to the Faery world. To them you'll be just another human?" asked the Queen.

"Yes,I belong here with you" said Ruby, happy,but with a slight twinge of sadness also. She hugged the Queen,not as Her Majesty, but as her Mother.

The rest of the day was spent getting acquainted with the Queen. Unfortunately, she would have to wait for her father to get back from some foreign business to meet him. When Ruby was finally alone in her new bed chambers (directly opposite the hall from Roses'). She had a chance to think things over. After all its not everyday you find out that your world isn't your world at all. It was strange to not only be in a new room, but a new home, and a new family too. And although the Faery King and Queen were not her real parents,she still harbored an attachment to them. And though they were not that close,she was still going to miss them, and even her rotten sisters too (a little bit).

She sat at the dressing table mirror,brushing her hair for bed,deep in thought.
Suddenly,she heard the tinkling of a bell from behind her. Turning around she sees a beautiful red rose with an attached note on her bed. Ruby knows it wasn't there when she entered her chambers. She understood,that this was a message from the Faeries. And as "just" another human, she wouldn't be able to see them anymore. Sadly she picks up the rose, and reads the note.It was from the Faery Queen.

" Dearest Ruby,
Daughter,
I knew it the instant you found out who you really are.
I knew too,that you have chosen the Human Realm.
I can't say that I blame you.
Your mother and I had children on the same night.
Mine died that very night,you were taken as a replacement.
I never meant you any harm.
Be happy Ruby.
Though we will never meet again,you will forever be in my heart.
Fare thee well"

Ruby hugged the flower and note to her chest,and a tear of both happiness and sadness slid down her cheek. She had two mothers. And even though she would never see one of them again, they both loved her very much.

The End
June 28, 2010












No comments:

Post a Comment